About Porter Law Office
Whether it is you or someone you care about, criminal charges can upend your life.
Although your confusion surrounding the criminal justice system can leave you feeling helpless, it is important to remember that you have rights throughout the criminal process. Attorney Annaleigh Porter fights to protect these rights every day. You deserve compassion and confidentially so that you can fully understand your rights, and skilled, experienced counsel to exercise those rights for you.
Attorney Annaleigh Porter is devoted to defending the rights of the accused. Her law practice is focused felony and misdemeanor litigation in New York State and Federal District Court. Annaleigh also serves as a Title IX Hearing Officer at Syracuse University. In this role, she fairly and impartially presides over cases of sexual assault and harassment. Annaleigh’s comprehensive knowledge of college disciplinary proceedings allows her to advocate for private clients, accused of conduct violations at institutions other than Syracuse University.
Annaleigh has lived in Central New York for the last fifteen years. She grew up down the road, in Lyons, New York. She left Lyons, New York, to attend the College of Charleston. She received many awards and honors, but none as memorable as serving as captain of the women’s rugby team.
Annaleigh returned to New York to attend law school at Syracuse University, as a scholarship student. At Syracuse, she reinstated the local chapter of the National Women’s Law Student Association and served as the chapter’s president. While in school, she was awarded a number of internships that aligned with her passions. She served as a Law Fellow for the NAACP’s legal department in Baltimore and clerked for former National Organization of Women President Karen DeCrow. The opportunity that dictated the course of her career was an internship with the late, preeminent criminal defense attorney Jim McGraw. She worked closely with Jim from June of 2008 until he passed away in 2014. Starting her legal career in state and federal courtrooms, shoulder-to-shoulder with such an incredible criminal law advocate, planted a seed that quickly grew roots.
- State of New York; and
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York.
- Central New York Women’s Bar Association, Immediate Past President;
- New York State Defenders Association, Member;
- Onondaga County Assigned Counsel Program, Attorney Mentor;
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member;
- Northern District of New York Federal Bar Association, Member;
- Onondaga County Bar Association, Member;
- Onondaga County Bar Association’s Women in the Courts Taskforce, Member;
- Fifth Judicial District’s Access to Justice Committee, Member;
- Committee for Improving Criminal Justice Responses to Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking, Member;
- New York State Bar Association, Member; and
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member.
Since opening her own practice, Ms. Porter has been recognized by The National Trial Lawyers as being among the ‘Top 40 Under 40’ and has been honored by her peers as the Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York’s ‘Rising Star’ for Central New York.
In addition to professional honors, Annaleigh was the 2018-2019 recipient Onondaga County Big Brothers Big Sisters’ ‘Big Sister of the Year’ Award.
Annaleigh has presented at the following seminars:
- Effective Voir Dire: You Can’t Win Without the Right Jury. Presented by the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. October 3, 2015.
- Building Your Own Law Practice. Presented by the Onondaga County Bar Association. September 22, 2017.
- Women in the Law: ALJ Careers. Presented by the Central New York Women’s Bar Association and the Onondaga County Bar Association. September 28, 2021.